Sunday, October 23, 2005

Beyond Human

"Many of the fans milling into this year's postseason baseball games have been wearing authentic major league uniforms, with GUERRERO, say, or OSWALT, stitched on the back. True, society has traditionally encouraged kids to fantasize about what they'll be as adults. But most of the people I've seen in $200 regulation shirts are adults. What they're fantasizing about is an alternative adult identity for themselves.

Why do they do this? The message in their clothing is aimed not at others but at themselves. It is a do-it-yourself virtual reality."

On another note, I'm still broke, so maybe I'll join the Army since they apparently like to give away money. I mean, hell I want to spend some time as a foreign correspondent anyway so I might as well get a free gym membership out of the deal.

- adam

No comments: